Put the verbs in the brackets into the past perfect or past simple. Choose the correct answer.
1) I was watching the news when I (start) ____ feeling ill.
2) The exercises were very difficult, nobody (know) ____ what to do with them.
3) I bought a new car because some thieves (steal) ____ my old one.
4) What were you doing when your father (come) ____?
5) I paid for the window because my son (break) ____ it.
6) I was frightened because the police (come) ____ for my sister.
7) I couldn't get in because I (lose) ____ my keys.
8) I was hungry because I (not eat) ____ since breakfast.